I watched the 1998 Hawaii Ironman on TV last night AGAIN :). The 1998 edition is one of my favourites. I like the part where the Ironman Hall of Famers gather into a chapel and talk about the mental aspect of the race.
Here are some words of wisdom from them:
"No matter how much you prepare, you can never control the race....the race is just there, you have to respond to the dynamics of it and find those places in yourself that are dormant, that sort of come alive when you are under that type of pressure."
-Mark Allen
"The actual physicalness of accomplishing this is very doable if you just put in the training, it's the mental...totally mental.If you can come into the race and find the flow....take everything that is dealt to you at the moment and handle it....that's where all the success and failures come, because if you don't handle it, the greatest training in the world is absolutely no good at all."
-Paula Newby Fraser
"The novelty of this race wears off about an hour out on the lava fields. There is so much momentum and so much hype and their adrenaline is coming out of their ears. But once you get out to the lava fields, you are all by yourself. I think a lot of people get hung up; I got to finish this race, I got to do this X time. I don't pay attention to time at all. I just let that moment consume me."
- Dave Scott
----------------------
Ever heard of "Lawrence Ng Formula"?:) That's what I will be using for the Ironman. I was getting sick of eating gels during my rides and I have trouble swallowing salt tablets, so I decided to try Infinit Nutrition. I answered the questionnaire on their website and that helped create this formula, which reduces the need for me to carry any gel or salt (though I will carry some gel with me in case I miss my special needs bag). I have not used this in competition. Langkawi will be the first time, so it will be one big experiment, though I have tried in during my long rides and it seems ok so far.
No comments:
Post a Comment