Friday, March 07, 2008

Wake-Up Call

I fell down while riding my bike last night.

For as long as I can remember.....ever since I started cycling, Scotts Rd in the direction of Newton Circus has always been my private drag strip. Almost everytime, after stopping at the traffic lights outside Borders, I will crank up my pace and try to get past the traffic light just outside Goodwood Park Hotel before it turns red. Sometimes, I make it, sometimes I don't.

Last night was just like any other ride. I was with Desmond, and we had just finished our Pandan loops and were on the way home. As usual, once the light turned green at Borders, I picked up the pace. In fact, I was feeling so good that I thought that I would be able to make it past the light with plenty of time to spare. As I was nearing the bus stop outside the ex-Holiday Inn at close to 40km/h, my bike ran over something on the road........I think it must have been a stone. That sudden impact....... though slight, caused my bike to wobble. I tried to control it but the next thing I knew, I fell heavily on my right side and ended up on the road. As I lay on the road, my immediate instinct was to look out for the vehicle coming from behind. Thankfully, it stopped. I quickly got up and went to the side of the road. Des was there. He checked to make sure that I was ok, then made me make sure my bike was ok. I was fine except for some abrasions on my right elbow and knee. Although I landed heavily, the fleshier part of my right hip helped take the brunt of the hit.

Honestly, it could have been much worse.

This accident comes as a good wake-up call me. Training has been going on well this year; I am feeling much stronger and faster on the bike, the swim is coming along fine and my run legs have not given me any problems at all, plus I brave the heavy morning traffic along Bendemeer Rd to work every morning and have emerged unscathed. All these have given me this feeling of invincibility; that whatever I want my body to do, it will respond.

Last night's incident reminded me that I am not so invincible after all. And that the reason why I am still writing this blog is due to God's grace upon me. As a cyclist, I can be careful, but if someone else isn't, I can just as easily end up as a statistic on the road, through no fault of my own. Everytime, I ride, I am putting myself through an incredible amount of risk, and I want to thank God for protecting me all this while.

No comments: