Sunday, April 27, 2008

Let the racing begin!

Yesterday was my first multisport race for the season; a 750m swim followed by a 5k run in the staff division race at the inter-collegiate and schools biathlon championship. It was a good warm-up for the 3 more races that I will be doing over the next 1 month:

Sprint Series Duathlon - 4 May
A Famosa Tri - 11 May
Bintan Tri - 24 May

Well, I came in first in my category yesterday :) I know it is just a small-time race, but it is really nice to be on top once in a while. I had won my category in this race 2 years ago, but sat out the race last year because of injury. So, to be able to win again is something special for me.

The sea was really bad yesterday......it was definitely one of the roughest open water swims I had ever done in recent time. Going out, the waves were coming at us, making it difficult to sight. Coming back in, the current was pushing us against the lane ropes. And I drank quite a bit of sea water too! Thankfully, I found a pair of feet to draft off for at least half of the swim, but it was still a struggle to get to shore.

The swim must have taken quite a bit out of me cos on the run, I did not feel as good as I wanted it to be. I was not able to run an even paced 5k; there were periods where I had to slow down quite a bit just to catch my breath. I was also trying to catch Kennieth and Shaohui on the run, as they usually come out ahead of me on the swim. But I didn't see them at all. After the halfway mark, I just told myself that either they are way in front of me because I had a terrible swim, or I am leading the race. Whatever it was, I had to stop worrying about them and just focus on running my race.

In the end, it turned out that I had outswum the both of them.....never in my years of racing have I ever come out in front of Kennieth in the swim. Either he has slowed, or I have gotten faster (really hoping for the latter!).

I hope this bodes well for my upcoming races. Am I ready for them? I dun think so. Well, you can't be 100% ready for any race, you just have to make do with what you've got. Training has been consistent the last few weeks, though I wish I can do more. Some days, I just come home from school really tired, and it is really difficult to drag myself out of the door. However, I managed to do some fast running on the track and on the canal path near my place and it has helped my running a little, I think!

Will update you when I get any pics or results from the race

--------------------------
Hey! finally, at a ripe "old" age of 32, I have gotten my driver's license. This is my second attempt at it, and I badly wanted to pass as I did not want to spend any additional money and time on driving lessons again.

Someone from school actually commented that though I have only gotten my driving licence recently, I have been "driving" people up the wall for as long as she can remember! :)

Ok, that's all for today, thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congratulations on your win! woohoo! good luck to all your upcoming races :D mannnn, open water swims sounds so exciting! hahaha.