Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tribob Du 2009

After the tribob biathlon, the area above my right knee swelled up:( so i had to go and see Calvin. He diagnosed it as bursitis and did some ultrasound for me - the whole consultation/treatment lasted half an hour and out flew away my money:( Thankfully, my physio-to-be wife worked on the area almost every night for two weeks -for free!:), and finally, a few days before the du, I was able to squat properly and run somewhat normally again.

Anyway, I am quite satisfied with how the race went given the condition of my knee. In fact, during warm-up, I felt that my right knee was clicking a bit:( Thankfully, it went away when the race started. As usual, I am amazed by the number of people that were ahead of me within 200m of running down the slope, and I had to do plenty of catch-up. The field is definitely bigger and of better quality this time round. I did not even see the winner, Dan Plews, at all during the race!.....He is definitely on a different level of fitness than most of us!

I have to say that I enjoyed the bike the most! Am really thankful to Tribob for revamping the course; closing the entire road and widening the biking lanes and of course, adding in the uphill after the bike u-turn on Mandai Rd. I was trying my best to keep in contact with this Arjan guy and not let him out of range cos I knew he was a pretty strong biker and if I pace off him, maybe I could get a good bike split. I was really pushing it out there, with my Planet X. This is my virgin race with the Planet X and I have to say that it responded beautifully!:)

I was just hanging on on the final run. I actually got off the bike feeling strong, but maybe I started off too fast, and I could feel my hamstring tighten a bit, and had to ease off. Thankfully, my buddy, Des, passed me and I picked up my pace to stay with him. I am really impressed by Des's progress and happy for him.....he's been kicking my ass at every race this year:) and his run is improving too! Once he pulled away from me and I saw that there was no one behind, I mentally switched off and took it "easy" to the finish:)

I really need to find out what is causing all these knee ailments that I keep getting:( it really can be quite depressing at times.
Some things that I intend to do
1) hit the gym more often and work on my legs and core strength......and stop worrying that I am going to be heavier and more sluggish for the time being!
2) bike easier
3) stretch more!!!
4) get more free massages from emily:)

No comments: