Sunday, January 17, 2010

Head Games


In 1989, Mark Allen ran side by side with Dave Scott for 40 of the 42km during the run portion of the Hawaii Ironman, in what was known as the "Iron War". Allen finally broke away to win his first WC. God knows the countless doubts that must have passed through his head and how hard he must have tried to contain them, in training and in racing.
--------------
It's a battle for me all the time. Sometimes when the training is coming along fine, I feel confident. However, when training is crappy, like this week's, doubts start creeping into my head again. I was supposed to do a 2.5 hr run on Thurs, but I lasted only 1.5hr. I was supposed to bike 150k today, but I was never able to get out of bed. When I finally succeeded in getting out of the house, it was already 11am. I battled the heat, wind and hills at mandai for 90k before calling it a day :(, morale shattered, and wondering whether I should even be doing Langkawi.

I am 6 weeks out from Langkawi, but I have effectively only 4 more weeks of serious training before I start my taper. I am doing fine in my swimming; was able to do 3k continuous swims the last 2 weeks. I have been consistently clocking over 40k of running each week. For the next couple of weeks, I really need to bike and run long well and NOT GIVE UP!! It's not over till it's over!!!




No comments: