Monday, January 25, 2010

Rethinking my long bike

I am taking a day off training today. The body feels fine; no serious tightness anywhere. I have just come off a pretty heavy week - 6k swim, ~250k bike and ~55k run. Somehow I feel a bit tired mentally......maybe I din sleep enough last night (I should be sleeping soon!!), or maybe I am just a bit overwhelmed by school:( Today is one of those days where I come home and just dun feel like doing anything. I watched a bit of Ironman though. Recently, I bought a dvd from a seller on http://www.ioffer.com/. This dvd contains the 1984, 1987 and 1989 ABC broadcasts of the Hawaii Ironman! Though the technology, clothing etc are different, the underlying spirit that drove the people then is still the same as now! I am really proud to be associated with this fraternity of positive, out of the mould, long suffering, play hard, live life to the fullest people!

Well, my long bike did not go as planned yesterday. I was supposed to bike 150, but I stopped around 120:( Reason being that I was feeling a bit tired, and the mental voice was quietly adding up all the week's mileage in the mind and telling me that maybe I had enough and it was better not to push it too much! On hindsight, I shouldn't have ridden the 90k with Anza on Saturday if I really wanted a good long ride on Sun. My body is probably not strong enough to ride back to back long rides on the weekends. Moreover, the wind at coastal was pretty strong yesterday, and that discomfort in the crotch area was irritating me, so I decided to stop the ride.

After the bike, I transitioned to a 9k run. Surprisingly, I felt good!:) I was wearing the foot pod and I was able to run at target pace easily. In fact, it felt slow, so I ran at 12kph for the bulk of the run. Hope the pod is not reading the speed wrongly! The garmin is really useful because previously, I never knew how fast I was running, and would end up running faster and faster. Yesterday's run was pretty enjoyable, and when the pace is aerobic, the Ks seem to be swallowed up much easier.

Well, there won't be any super long ride this week. I am just going to do the Anza ride on Sat and ride off the back and get used to staying aero as long as possible. I need to start fixing on the rear bottle carrier and get used to the weight of the extra bottle of water on the bike. I also need to figure out what I want to wear on the bike for the ironman. I am leaning towards trunks and seatpad, cos I have pretty good experiences with it. However, I will probably be the only one doing that!! Emily watched the ironman footage from the 80s and commented that I am the only one still competing in trunks, when everyone has graduated to trisuits and trishorts!:)

No comments: