Bike Porn:)
This is Des's new bike which we built together 2 Saturdays ago. I am thankful that he trusts me enough to let me work on his new bike. Though I have been building my own bikes for a while now, it is the first time I am
working on someone else's bike, and I was pretty careful and meticulous about it too, cos I do not want the bike to fail and put Des's life in danger.
working on someone else's bike, and I was pretty careful and meticulous about it too, cos I do not want the bike to fail and put Des's life in danger.
Frameset is Planet X SL Pro Carbon and groupset is 2011 Campy Chorus which Des got off the Internet. Honestly, buying from online bikeshop is the way to go if you want a value for money bike build. To get a bike with such specifications in Singapore, he would have to pay >$1k more than what he paid for!
It was my first time working with Campy 11 speed and right away, I realised that it is a troublesome groupset to work with......if you do not have the right tools! Having bought a special chain tool and BB tool just for the job, I thought I was well prepared! Then I realised that the screws require a special star-shaped driver to fit in, and my regular toolset did not have any!! Luckily, I searched around the house, and found the appropriate driver in an old toolkit!
It was good to have Des around when I was building the bike cos really......2 heads are better than 1! Just having the extra pair of hands helped speed up everything, though there were a couple of times where we had to backtrack what we were doing cos we were 1. routing the gear cables wrongly 2. routing the brake cable to the wrong brake!:) 3. cutting the brake housing too short!! These are good lessons learnt which hopefully, I will not commit them again when I embark on my own bike build the next couple of days:)
Des had his first outing on his new bike on Tuesday and I am glad to say that everything on the bike is working beautifully! No inaccurate shifts or dropped chains!! YES!! Another step forward towards my dream!
It was good to have Des around when I was building the bike cos really......2 heads are better than 1! Just having the extra pair of hands helped speed up everything, though there were a couple of times where we had to backtrack what we were doing cos we were 1. routing the gear cables wrongly 2. routing the brake cable to the wrong brake!:) 3. cutting the brake housing too short!! These are good lessons learnt which hopefully, I will not commit them again when I embark on my own bike build the next couple of days:)
Des had his first outing on his new bike on Tuesday and I am glad to say that everything on the bike is working beautifully! No inaccurate shifts or dropped chains!! YES!! Another step forward towards my dream!
No comments:
Post a Comment