Thursday, December 06, 2007

Steep learning curves


Can you see the yellow pin that represents me, from Singapore?
(click on the pic to expand)

Wow! So many graduates from the USA

This is our lecture cum demo room. Look at all the hardware!
The lady in the pink top is Jennifer Skorcx, one of the instructors.
In fact, 2 out of the 3 instructors are women. You'll be amazed by the
depth of bicycle knowledge that these women have!


Here is mechanic wannabe Lawrence Ng :)
I was learning to make a hub adjustment

The Asian in the picture is Park. He is a bike shop
owner from Korea. http://www.mtbtaso.co.kr/
He is now my meal buddy. We have been going out for
lunch and dinner together.

Hi everyone,
the last 2 days have been quite busy for me. In addition to the lessons during the day, I also have to do some reading and finish some assignments in the evening. I've also had 2 tests already; the first on headset adjustment and the second on hub adjustment. I think I fared ok for the 2 tests. Honestly, I think I was the last to finish the tasks but it's ok, there is plenty of room for improvment! :) It has been a steep learning curve for me especially since I never had any wrenching experience before. But the instructors have been most helpful and patient. We are guided step by step in performing the different procedures. For example, today I learnt to lace a wheel from scratch using a 3x pattern. Tomorrow, I will be learning to true and hopefully, finish building it!

Thankfully, I still have energy to fit in my runs. In fact, I managed to run twice yesterday; in the gym in the morning and around the neighbourhood in the evening. Other than the harrassment from the barking dogs, I had a wonderful time exploring the neighbourhood. Found out that there was a stable and a cemetery very near my hotel. And guess what, I actually ran past a deer that was in the cemetery!

Ok, am going to take a rest and then do some reading later.
Thanks for reading. Take care

4 comments:

the-iron-cow said...

Waaah you look like a pro already man, working on the wheel :) You can come back and go work for Ah Boon or better still, Colin. Tell him say you can build wheels for him to sell.

I'm fine. Haven't done a single thing this week except rot. My legs are recovering but just too lazy to go out and do anything. Tell me more about your runs.. was it cold? how was it running in full attire? did you sweat as much as you do in singapore?

Hey believe in yourself. You can do it. You have the passion for it. I believe in you :)

Lawrence Ng said...

Hi des,
thanks for your encouragement!! really appreciate it!!

building wheels for others is actually a good idea....but first, i must build a pair for myself and ride on it. theoretically, the wheels i build meet the tolerances and tension level, but it would be nice to build my own stuff and use it first.

hmmm....does that mean that a new bike is on the way? :)

the-iron-cow said...

ah yo... more bikes ah... cannot lah, your house becoming warehouse already.

heh heh, next time if I get a new bike, you build wheel for me :p

wah this is so exciting, hearing you learning so much!

Anonymous said...

Halo Mr Ng,
kinda delighted to know that u are seeing snow.at the same time,having fruitful experience there...hmm...keep it up!!truly inspirational=Dguess who m i?hurhur...take care k~